Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day Things

It was a long weekend starting on Friday with going to the State Fair early to help Barb set up the MN Supreme Court Historical Society booth at 7 am. We set it and I worked till 10:30 am then went back to my truck to change into something more comfortable. I played my chanter for 45 minutes. After that I went out to see things I didn't see when I went with Nic and his family on 25 August or wouldn't do with Katherine. It was actually quite nice and liberating. No need to vacillate and hem and haw about this and that and take into consideration the other person's feeling about whether they wanted to do this or that ot eat this ot that. Ah, so very nice. Brent arrived late and right away it was beer time and whatever. Then Katherine arrived as did Karen. It was good to have had the time to myself.

Saturday, Katherine's 35th reunion in Buffalo. It was a very interesting event. I was introduced to all her old high school classmates. It was interesting to hear people to talk about what has gone on in their lives and read the class bio handout which caught people up with what everyone was doing. It truly was fun and interesting.

Sunday, a nice long bike ride down to lake Calhoun and Lake of the Isles. K went back home to get ready for church and I went to work in the garden and putter around the house. I am not finding church very interesting or compelling. I know the message is always the same, however, the messenger is sometimes a problem. I met with the McGilps at Townhall and had some very good beers. Then I dashed over to Orchestra Hall to catch the TCC Gospel Chois do a small concert. It was very delightful and cool. We (Brent, Katje, and myself) went to Acadia and had some beers and share a sandwich.

Monday - Day of the March. We went to Menard's to get bricks for the pull off. The kids were to help their mother do this however, they are the laziest, good for nothings. Yet, they are paid an allowance for doing nothing but breathing. I went to Nic's house and picked him and Damian up and go to the peace march on the RNC. We parked up by Western and walked to the Capitol where we then waited for approx. 2 hours for the march to start. We met the McGilps and Eli their gradnson. When the march actually started down the street we moved at a pretty good pace. We met Nic's neighbors Pat, John and Jessie and marched with them. We were shouting " Hey Hey Ho Ho 13th Avenue Against the War!! Nic was embarassed as was damian. The march was permitted to go within about 200 ft. of the RNC Excel Center doing sort of a hairpin sort of turn around. Counter protesters were very few and the cops in riot gear were out in force. Dressed in black with shin guards, padding, helmets, tear gas launchers, Edina's armoured car, and mounted cops on bicylces and horses. It was pretty incredible. I am glad everyone was very cool. The organizers had people stationed between the cops and the marchers, that was very good. After we marched we had a ice cream by the cathedral as an ice cream truck had stopped. We then went home and it was good.

No comments: