Saturday, September 26, 2009

Lake Superior Things

Went up to Hovland with Brent seperately. Stopped at Fitger's to pickup beer and drop off beer and have lunch. The wild rice burger is amazing. It is my ritual to stop at Fitgers on the way up for lunch and beer to start vacation. Vacation begins in Duluth when I see the delta of the St. Louis river and the Twin Ports, Duluth and Superior. Mentally I am on vacation. It has started for me. Also, When I see the Twin Ports and Superior disappear from my sight travelling 35 south it is the end of vacation. The last beer and lunch at Fitgers and it is adios for awhile.

The cabin number 4 is the cabin we are guests at in Hovland. It is a rustic little thing built for shorter people. The kitchen looks onto the lake and our own private shore/beach. A nice Duluth gabbro, igneous rock slab beach. We have several residents we share the area with i.e. a red squirrel (very crabby), chipmunks, birds (esp. sea gulls), some chickadees, and other creatures.

The weather was perfect. Summer had waited until we arrived. Actually for the week prior, the week of, and two more weeks the North Shore had a wonderful summer. The days were splendid being warm, sunny, and soft breezes. The evenings were t-shirt and shorts weather. I enjoyed the stars late at night nude. I woke up in the middle of the night and went outside to look at the sky and it was pleasantly warm. The stars were amazing with the Milky Way just fantastic.

I played bagpipes for our little community. They enjoyed it very much. I also learned how to operate and use my Victor VI Victrola. So I have been able to play my old records and enjoy them. Lots of fun as I have had my Victrola sitting for at least 10 and probably 15 years. I picked it up on Gold Rush Days with Ann one year. Noy knowing anything about Victrolas, I bought it and it proved to be a very good machine. Jon rearranged the arm so it was correct and replaced the reproducer with the correct one. Like bagpipes they have one volume and you control it by opening the doors or shutting them.

Our routine is to go to the Trail Center for dinner, Nanabijou for Sunday brunch, Grand Marais Farmer's Market, the general store in Hovland for bread and pastries, and lots of hiking the trail. This time we went to the wee little ECLA church in Hovland, Trinity. What a nice service by a pastor that was really a gift. She delivered a lovely sermon and the whole feeling of the community was really nice.

Usually we take in lots of hiking but this time no. I was forced with a sore knee to relax more which was great. I am not much for relaxing but when forced to I enjoy it immensely.

The time up on the North Shore is always magical. I love it winter , spring, summer, or fall.

No comments: